Few Facts About human trafficking
Looking at the root causes of sex trafficking, Guria India sees a link between sex trafficking, hunger, education, status of women, health, caste discrimination and unsafe migration
- Human trafficking is the 2nd largest criminal industry in the world (UNICEF)
- 84% acquittals in human trafficking cases in India (NCRB 2022)
- Pendency rate of court trials in human trafficking is over 87%
- Pendency rate of court trials in crime against women is over 95%
- About 1.2 million minor girls are trapped in brothels in India (PIL by Guria India).
- Human trafficking earns profits of roughly $150 billion a year for traffickers. $99 billion of that is from commercial sexual exploitation. (ILO Report, 2014).
- According to the 2021 State Department Trafficking in Persons (TIP) report, there were only 9,876 prosecutions and 5,721 convictions for trafficking globally in 2020. (The 2021 U.S. TIP Report)
- India ranked 135 out of 146 countries on the Global Gender Gap Index 2022 by World Economic Forum, 143 in Economic Participation & Opportunity, 107 in Educational attainment, 146 in Health & Survival out of 146 countries
- India ranked 136 out of 146 countries across the globe in terms of happiness in 2022(World Happiness Report 2022)
- India ranks 107 out of 121 countries on the Global Hunger Index 2022
- India ranked 85 in the world on the Corruption Perception Index 2021.
- Bihar, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh are among the poorest states as per Niti Aayog National Multidimensional Poverty Index 2021